Information, Technology and Development
This group covers all aspects of the relationship between the development process and "informatics" (meaning information, information systems, knowledge, and ICTs). It covers both strategic/policy and tactical/project levels; and encompasses all lifecycle aspects: readiness, design and development, transfer and adoption, use and impact.
The special issue of Innovation and Development journal on “New Models of Inclusive Innovation for Development” has now been published.
- This incorporates six papers from the 2013 ITD Study Group meeting on innovation and development, held at the University of Manchester; three of which are on permanent open access.
- The overview paper - is available Open Access. It defines and analyses inclusive innovation, and identifies future policy and research priorities.
Using Actor-Network Theory in Development Research
- Working Paper “Actor-Network Theory for Development” working paper series: arising from the study group meeting
- Foundational paper – Development Studies Research and Actor-Network Theory – provides a primer on actor-network theory including pros and cons; explores ANT’s relevance to current trends in development thinking and practice; and outlines development research questions that ANT may help address.
- The remaining seven papers in the series use different fractions and degrees of ANT to investigate a variety of development issues. The overall purpose is to help development studies researchers decide whether ANT may be relevant for their work and, if so, how and what to apply.
- We will consider further working papers: if you have a relevant paper, you are welcome to submit it for consideration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please join us in the virtual space for researchers interested in using actor-network theory in development research
Next meeting agenda:
|IT Sourcing and Development: New Drivers, Models and Impacts||University of Manchester, UK
|New Models of Innovation for Development||University of Manchester, UK||July 2013||>Report
|Understanding Development Through Actor-Network Theory Workshop||London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), UK||June 2011||
|One-day workshop on "ICT Policy in Developing Countries"||University of Manchester's Centre for Development Informatics||March 2010||>Report
|One-Day International Workshop on "Mobiles and Development"||University of Manchester, UK||May 2007
|One-Day Workshop on "Gender and ICTs in a Global Society"||University of Manchester, UK||June 2006
Richard Heeks (University of Manchester, UK)