The Development Studies Association is the UK's learned society and professional body for academic teaching and research, policy and practice in the field of international development.
Aims and Objectives
DSA works to connect and promote the development research community in the UK. We improve links and information exchange between DSA members, represent members in important consultations and bring their work to a wide audience of prospective students, partners and donors.
We aim to:
- promote the advancement of knowledge on international development;
- disseminate information on development research and training;
- encourage interdisclipinary exchange and cooperation.
Consequently the association's main activities throughout the year are:
- coordinating and funding the activities of a wide range of Study groups
- organising an annual conference
- compiling and dsitributing a monthly newsletter to the development studies community
- maintaining an informative website, which includes an open access directory of members
- representing the development studies community in various national and internal fora (Research Excellence Framework (REF), Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), Academy of Social Sciences (AcSS), European Association of Development, Research and Training Institutes (EADI))
- organising meetings of the Heads of Centres to discuss issues facing the sector
Membership is open to anybody with an interest in development studies. We currently have over 600 members (including students), made up of individuals and approximately 40 institutions, from the academic and NGO sectors. Most members are UK-based as this is where our Study Group meetings and association conferences take place.
Read more about why you might join the DSA.
DSA is managed by a governing council who meet several times a year. Take a look at who's in charge!
The DSA is governed according to its constitution. Read more.
AGM minutes, Accounts and other documents
Read various documents related to Annual General meetings, finances, business plans and governance. Read more.
The DSA is a charity registered in England and Wales. Charity Number: 283670 and Scotland, Charity Number: SC044852