Latest news: UNU-WIDER News – Summer 2022
Call for Contributions | Joint blog series with Global Development Blog |
GlobalDev partners with UNU-WIDER to invite you to write a blog about social mobility. You are invited to write 800 words with a focus on any of the following key questions (the list is indicative and not exhaustive):
- What do we know about social mobility in income, education, and occupation in developing countries? To what extent can we trust the evidence, and what else is missing?
- What are the data constraints for understanding social mobility in developing countries? Given the data constraints, are their alternate ways we can learn more? Going forward, what data should governments, national data agencies, funders, and researchers collect for us to understand mobility better?
- Has social mobility among disadvantaged groups (by race, caste, ethnicity, gender) within developing countries improved over the years?
- What policies can help improve social mobility in education, occupation, and income? What evidence do we have that these policies work?
- How strong is the role of the mother’s characteristics in the mobility of daughters and sons?
JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUE | What sustains informality?
The special issue contributes significantly to critical issues related to the nature of informal employment and its determinants, how informal firms can grow their business and productivity, and the effects of labour market regulations and social insurance policies on informality. See more here.
Vacancy | Administration and Facilities Management Associate | Deadline 31 July 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring an Administration and Facilities Management Associate in Helsinki, Finland.
As Administration and Facilities Management Associate, you would be part of our global Administration team and contribute to the delivery of effective and high-quality services in general administration and facilities management.
Vacancy | Associate Communications Officer (NPSA) | Deadline: 3 August 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring an Associate Communications Officer in Pretoria, South Africa.
As Associate Communications Officer, you would play a key role around mobilizing the research knowledge for use in policy processes and communicating to key stakeholders in our SA-TIED programme, which builds critical bridges between research and policy in South Africa.
Vacancy | People Operations Manager | Deadline: 9 August 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring a People Operations Manager (P-2) in Helsinki, Finland.
As a People Operations Manager, you would be part of our global HR team. Your responsibilities would include service design, service provision, supervision of local team, advice to internal clients, applying and interpreting corporate policies, procedures, and guidelines. In addition, you would be leading our wellbeing programme and learning and development of personnel.
Vacancy | Research Associate | Deadline 14 August 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring a Research Associate in Pretoria, South Africa.
As Research Associate you would contribute to the research and management of our Southern African – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) programme which builds critical bridges between research and policy in South Africa.
Vacancy | Data Scientist | Deadline: 14 August 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring two Data Scientists in Pretoria, South Africa.
As Data Scientist you would contribute to the data extraction and preparation for research for our Southern African – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) programme.
Vacancy | Data Developer | Deadline: 14 August 2022
UNU-WIDER is hiring a Data Developer in Pretoria, South Africa.
As Data Developer, you would contribute to the development of tax datasets for our Southern African – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) programme.