IDD, University of Birmingham: June news
- Emily K. M. Scott (with Simon Bagshaw) published, “Talk Is Cheap: Security Council Resolution 2286 & the Protection of Health Care in Armed Conflict”, Dædalus (31 May)
- Bizuneh Yimenu published, ‘‘Federalism and State Structuring in Africa: A Comparative Analysis of Origins, Rationales and Challenges’’, Publius: The Journal of Federalism
- Bizuneh Yimenu published, ‘‘Measuring and explaining fiscal de/centralization: Empirical evidence from Ethiopia, 1995–2020’’, Public Administration and Development
Blogs and project news
- Briefed Westminster Foundation for Democracy’s Asia teams on the May 2023 Thai election
- Received funding from the School of Government Research Fund to conduct fieldwork during Thailand’s May 2023 general election
- Gave a live interview about Thailand’s May 2023 election to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s The World programme.
- Quoted in La Croix, a daily French general-interest newspaper, about the results of the May 2023 Thai election
- Presented her research virtually with Dr Sana Haroon (UMass Boston) on the experiences of women public servants in Pakistan at the Humanities and Social Sciences Conference, Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan
- Invited panellist for a virtual Tabadlab Policy Roundtable (TPR) on General Elections 2023 in Pakistan
- Quoted in an Al Jazeera English article on the political crisis in Pakistan
- Joined the PSA “Politics of South Asia” Specialist Group as co-convenor
- Published research briefs “Leadership negotiation in Oceania: The context behind the context”, “Leadership journeys of persons with disabilities in Indonesia” and “Understanding developmental leadership: Leaders, coalitions and change”.
- Published a blog on “The context behind the context: A revealing approach to appreciating leadership”.
Jonathan Fisher and Nina Wilen, Lund University, presented their book ‘African Peacekeeping‘ at Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI).
Merisa Thompson was the co-organiser of a workshop on “Race, Empire and Agrarian Labour” with colleagues from the University of Warwick and the University of Sheffield.
Bizuneh Yimenu contributed to the coverage of the Sudan war by BBC Afaan Oromoo regarding neighboring roles and consequences.
Laiq Zirack published an article, “How Afghan girls are overcoming barriers through online education”, The Diplomat.
Research Trip News
Petra Alderman spent three weeks conducting fieldwork in Thailand, observing electoral campaigning and interviewing electoral stakeholders such as political party candidates, election monitoring CSOs, journalists and current and former members of the election commission.
Kate Pruce has recently returned from a research trip to Timor-Leste where she presented preliminary findings from her DLP project on social protection and state legitimacy to various audiences. This included development partners such as DFAT, the World Bank and The Asia Foundation; government officials from the Ministry of Social Solidarity and Inclusion and other implementing partners; a feedback session with youth participants involved in the data collection. The aim was to share and discuss the findings with a range of stakeholders, to get input that will feed into the final version of the research paper.
IDD PGR Ellen Bomasang will be presenting “Pathways to Women’s Representation and Leadership in the Energy Sector” at the Asia Clean Energy Forum 2023, held at the Asian Development Bank in Manila, Philippines, from June 13-16, 2023.
IDD PGR Flavia Amayo will be presenting “Climate change adaptation decisions of smallholder women farmers in Uganda” at the DSA Conference 2023, in Reading, from June 28-30, 2023.