DSA2019: Opening up Development
The Open University, Milton Keynes, 19-21 June
PhD Student Masterclass
19th June 2019 | 1030am - 1200pm*
*(Wed morning - before the main conference starts)
PhD students can now apply for one of 12 places to participate in a Masterclass preceding the DSA2019 conference, where they can receive expert feedback on their project and key issues emanating from their work.
▪ Submit a long abstract (up to 500 words) to conference(at)devstud.org.uk briefly outlining your PhD project and the key challenge you would like to focus on (for example, working with elites, generalising from a small sample, applying conceptual frame works developed in other settings, etc.)
▪ Deadline for submission of abstracts - EXTENDED: Feb 15th 2019
▪ 12 places available – applicants will be notified at end of Feb with the committee’s decision.
• Each successful applicant will have 30 minutes allocated to them in the Masterclass.
This time will be used to give a short presentation (8 mins), engage with feedback from a discussant (5 mins) and participate in a more general discussion around the issues raised. The aim is for participants to receive excellent, focused feedback, from the experts/discussants and audience members, but also to highlight issues that may be common to other researchers in the audience so we can collectively consider how to address them.
• Four sessions will run in parallel from 10.30am - 12.00pm on the morning of 19th June, chaired by members of the committee that selected the abstracts.
• Successful applicants will be asked to submit a four page paper expanding on their abstract for the discussants to comment on and to share with people attending the panel ahead of the conference.
• Experts and discussants will be leading academics who are part of the DSA and/or part of the ESRC SeNSS Doctoral Training Partnership.