The global South Study Group was formed in July 2022, to broaden the perspectives inspired by the Africa and South Asia Study Groups. We aim to stimulate interest among academics, researchers and development practitioners from the global South and increase their participation in scholarly discourse currently enjoyed by their peers in the global North. The Study Group’s specific objectives include:
1. To engage with scholars and practitioners in the global South interested in development issues, and to facilitate a network among them.
2. To promote Global South scholarship in development studies
3. To promote mentorship opportunities for young scholars
4. To generate ideas that support theorising from scholars in the Global South
5. To share important research carried out in global South or by scholars and practitioners from the global South.
Tuesday Gichuki – abdulmalikg(at)yahoo.co.uk – DSA Council gS representative
Rakiya Mamman – rmamman(at)noun.edu.ng – Africa
M. Jahangir Alam Chowdhury – mjac(at)du.ac.bd – Asia
Andres Patino – andresjpatinoe(at)gmail.com – South America
Regional Committee Members:
• Felix Danso – felixdanso2gh(at)gmail.com (Ghana)
• Rakiya Mamman-Simpson – rmamman(at)noun.edu.ng (Nigeria)
• Keitumetse Mabole – catromabole(at)gmail.com (Botswana)
• Anne Marie Kagwesage – amakagwe(at)yahoo.fr (Rwanda)
• Chester Arcilla – ccarcilla2(at)up.edu.ph (Philippines)
• M. Jahangir Alam Chowdhury – mjac(at)du.ac.bd (Bangladesh)
• Shabana Fayyaz – shabanafayyaz(at)gmail.com (Pakistan)
• Simran Asad – simranasad9(at)gmail.com (Pakistan)
• Andres Patino – andresjpatinoe(at)gmail.com (Colombia)
• Isabela Coelho – msbelabandeira(at)gmail.com (Brazil)
• Jakleen Al-Dalal’a – jaal-dalala1(at)sheffield.ac.uk (Jordan/ UK)
Join our mailing list
Sign up to the mailing list for this study group if you are working, researching or generally interested in global South development issues. If you’re not already, please do consider becoming a member of the DSA before joining the study group. Membership is free for those who are BOTH from AND residing in lower and middle-income countries.
Watch our latest webinar
Feb 21: Granaz Baloch on the impacts of climate change on gender-based violence in Pakistan. Watch on Youtube.
Global South Mentoring programme
DSA is rolling out a South-to-South mentoring scheme running over 10 months starting June 2023. We are now calling for expression of interest from global South members to participate in the scheme as Mentors and Mentees, deadline 30 May 2023. More information.
Monthly webinar series: February to April 2023
DSA Global South Study Group invites you to its monthly webinar series, commencing February 2023. The webinars will be on Zoom and the recording shared on social media platforms for a wide reach. The presentations will also be recorded and made available on the DSA website.
Webinar Series Theme: Development perspectives from the Global South – Continuities and Change.
- March 21, 2023 – Effectiveness of Social Protection strategies on reduction of inequalities in the Global South, Austin Muswere. Zimbabwe, Southern Africa. Takes places 1pm UK / 3pm Harare / 7pm Dhaka. Register here.
Call for webinar presentations: Development perspectives from the Global South – Continuities and Change.
The gS Study Group has a monthly online webinar series to provide a platform for members of the global South Study Group to showcase their research, identify shared research interests and develop collaborations. The webinar series is titled “Development perspectives from the Global South: Continuities and Change” and runs on every 3rd Tuesday of the month, commencing February 2023. We already have presenters for February to May 2023.
We now seeking volunteers who are interested in addressing issues on development based on their research for June to September 2023. As you will appreciate, the theme is broad as we want to invite a variety of perspectives. Each webinar is expected to last about 1 hour: 30 minutes for presentation and 30 minutes for Q&A.
If you would like to present your research, please email Tuesday Gichuki – abdulmalikg(at)yahoo.co.uk and M. Jahangir Alam Chowdhury – mjac(at)du.ac.bd – with:
- a draft title
- the month(s) in which you would like to present; and
- the geographic region of your research.
Please send your responses by March 31, 2023.